What size water softener do i need for my family? That’s a common question that crosses most people’s mind whenever they’re looking to buy a water softener for their family use.
Throughout the course of human history, few things have been more vital to the survival and well-being of not just individuals but entire communities than access to clean water. Pluck one of your ancestors out of history, and they’d be amazed at the cleanliness and ease with which we can access that clean drinking water in the first place. We tend to take it for granted, but it’s worth remembering what a recent, incredible, and all-too-exclusive breakthrough that easily accessible clean drinking water is – even today. Too many around the globe still find themselves without clean drinking water, even in countries as rich and powerful as the United States, where Flint, Michigan is still without this basic necessity.
All of this serves to contextualize just how lucky we are to be able to wish to go even further in seeking out greater standards of water purification and softening. Even so, there is something inspiring about the fact that even with the vast improvements in water cleanliness and quality, we are still not content. We feel that we can do still better, and are committed to doing so.
It is for that reason that water softeners have become so popular. They specialize in removing heavy metals, which is great news for those looking to improve the purity and quality of their water supply.
So, what size water softener do i need and how can you go about choosing the right water softener for your needs?
How Water Softeners Work
First, let’s take a step back and review the basics of how water softeners work.
The basic idea behind a water softener, as stated, is to remove contaminants from your water supply. They are often employed with the intention of specifically removing heavy metals and an excess of minerals in your water supply. The best water softeners and filtration systems excel in this regard. What’s more, they are able to achieve this in different ways. For example, ion-based water softeners achieve this by extracting the ions from heavy metals such as magnesium.
This in turn allows the unit to filter out these harmful heavy metals, thereby making your water supply that much safer to drink.
The Design of Water Softeners
Now that we have reviewed how water softeners work, and as we continue to consider different factors which can influence your decision regarding which unit is right for you, let’s turn our attention to design.
Some of the factors you’ll want to consider when choosing from among different water softener designs include the following:
- Fixed vs. Portable Units: One of the biggest factors you’ll want to consider from a design as well as a convenience standpoint is whether you want to invest in a fixed unit or a portable one. A fixed water softener is one which can be installed in your sink, refrigerator, or other source of your water supply, with the filtration system kicking in as you turn on the tap, ensuring that any water you dispense is filtered before it reaches your glass. By contrast, small portable water softener units can be great for those looking to take their water filtration benefits on the road with them, as they can be attached to and from different water sources as needed. Either way, you are going to want to make sure to consider how permanent of a need you have for your water softener in any given setup.
- Durability: You don’t want to invest a sizeable amount of money in a water softener only for it to break down shortly into its lifespan. You’ll thus want to take the time to read up on the expected lifespan of different water softener models, and determine how often they are able to actually last that long. It is better to take the time and do your research to find a durable unit than rush into purchasing one and have it break down shortly after you it is
- Methodology: As stated above, different types of water softeners utilize different means to filter out heavy metals. You’ll want to be sure to read the description of each unit carefully to ensure that the one you are purchasing meets your expectations.
- Cost Efficiency: Then there’s the question of how you can go about finding the most cost-efficient water softener for your needs. After all, for as much as you may want to acquire a quality water softener, you hardly want to let the dam break in your finances and be awash in red ink just to afford one. That’s why you’ll want to do your due diligence and check the prices of different water softeners and compare their effectiveness. This means reading reviews as well as reviewing the different functions that each unit provides.
- Single vs. Double Tank Options: Here again, size matters, with single tank options typically being smaller than double tanks. As such, if size is of primary concern for you, a single tank water softener unit may be the way to go. In terms of actual functionality, single tanks tend to be electric, are simplified in their design, make use of even flow technology, and employ granular salt tablets. By contrast, many double tank water softener units tend to be non-electric in their methodology, are more complex in design than their single tank counterparts, make use of fluctuating water flows, and utilize block salt.
- On Demand vs. 24/7 Softeners: You aren’t going to be using the water in your home 24 hours a day, 7 days a week – and if it is running that much, chances are you have a plumbing problem. Nevertheless, whenever you turn on the tap, you need to know that the water that’s coming out isn’t brackish or filled with heavy metals. You will thus either need to choose a water softener which sets about softening or purifying the water source in question when you activate it, or else performs water softening and filtration services around the clock. Both methods have their pros and cons, though it is worth mentioning that the latter method can prove to be more expensive.
What Size Water Softener Do I Need for Family of 4?
With all those different factors in mind, let’s imagine that you are looking to purchase a water softener that can service your family of four. Which type of water softener is right for you?
For starters, if you are looking for a way to cut down on costs, you are probably going to want to opt for a single tank water softener which utilizes an on-demand approach. Both of these factors mean that, while it may seem intuitive to expect to buy a larger, fixed water softener for a family of four, you’ll actually want to opt for a smaller, single tank option. That being said, you’ll still want to look to the larger options among these smaller single tanks so as to make sure you buy a unit which is up to the wear and tear of servicing a family of four.
Your family deserves the best, especially when it comes to something as important as the cleanliness of your water supply. Thankfully, with the help of these tips, you’ll be able to find the optimal size for a water softener to serve your family of four.